Who is a Varicose Vein Surgery Candidate?
Do you have swelling, heaviness, engorged purple veins that are unsightly, or cramping in your legs? As a result have you had problems with skin infections, leg ulcers, poor wound healing, or drainage from your legs?
These are some of the more common problems that many individuals with varicose veins suffer with on a daily basis. Wouldn’t it be great to finally be rid of your varicose veins and all of their complications?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should know that there are procedures that can be performed on varicose veins to eliminate the varicose veins and the symptoms associated.
The more common procedures are sclerotherapy, endovascular laser therapy (EVLT), and vein stripping surgery.
Is it the right time for surgery?
It is first important to decide when the right time is to consider varicose vein surgery. There are many reasons that you may decide to pursue further surgical treatment options, which is detailed below. If you agree with any or all of these statements, you have chosen the right time to consider further treatment options.
Reasons to get varicose vein surgery:
- Daily symptoms of swelling, throbbing, or cramping.
- Secondary complications, like infections, weeping skin, hardened or discolored skin, or wounds or ulcers that do not heal well.
- Inability to participate in normal daily activities or leisure activities without managing pain. This could be even cleaning the home, yard work, and difficulty at work.
- Unsightly veins that are always covered and the embarrassment with how your legs look.
- Failure of home treatments, such as weight loss, compression hose, elevation, avoidance of heat, exercises, stretching.
You May Not be a Candidate if...
After deciding that now is the right time to consider varicose vein surgery, there are certain medical problems that may prevent the ability to have a varicose vein surgery. Some of these may be temporary and you may be able to consider varicose vein surgery in the future.
1. Mobility Issues
3. Blood Clots
4. Use of Certain Medications
5. Arterial Disease
6. Unable to Follow Post-Op Instructions
Find out if you are a candidate for Varicose Vein Surgery
Varicose vein surgery may be a good option for you to finally seek the relief from the daily pain, struggles, and appearance of your varicose veins. Speak with your doctor about the options available and what procedure might be best for your treatment and recovery.
Meet Dr. Mackay
Contact the office of Dr. Edward Mackay, a board certified vascular surgeon providing services to patients in the Tampa area.