March 10

0 comments

How Many Sclerotherapy Sessions Are Needed For Spider Veins?

By Mackay

March 10, 2020


​How Many Sclerotherapy Sessions Are Needed For Spider Veins?

​​Sclerotherapy is the best option available to remove unwanted spider veins. In general terms and under optimal conditions, patients can achieve desirable results within 4 treatment sessions.

Spider veins occur when the small blood vessels in the skin pool with blood, which results in a red or violaceous color on the skin. They are most commonly seen in the legs, but can be found anywhere on the body, with the face and abdomen also commonly affected. Spider veins do not pose any real danger, unlike varicose veins, but they can be a nuisance and visually unappealing. However, there are spider vein treatment options available at the office of Tampa's vein specialist, Dr. Mackay.

​"The majority of patients can achieve desirable results with 4 treatment sessions." - Dr. Edward Mackay
To learn more about vascular surgery, contact Dr. Mackay at 1-727-261-0047 or fill out an appointment request form.

​What Is The Best Treatment For Spider Veins?

Sclerotherapy is the best treatment available for those pesky and unwanted spider veins. Sclerotherapy is a safe and effective treatment that uses a chemical that is inserted directly into the spider veins. The chemical causes a reaction in the vein, whereby the vein begins to scar.

Once the vein is completely scarred down, blood is no longer able to pass through the vein and over time, the body absorbs the vein. Of course, laser therapy is also an option to treat spider veins, however sclerotherapy provides better results and achieves results with less pain. Sclerotherapy can also be used for small varicose veins, but laser therapy is a better treatment option for any varicose vein.

Video: The Causes of Spider Veins, Risk Factors & Ways to Reduce Risk

Post Procedure Sclerotherapy Care

With any type of treatment or medical procedure, there are specific post-procedural instructions that should be followed in order to improve healing time. These include:

  • Compression stockings:  These should be worn the majority of the time for the first 1-2 weeks after the procedure. This helps to prevent pooling of the blood. 

  • Walking:  Walking should take place within 1-2 days of the procedure with slow increases in the duration, distance, and speed of walking. This helps to circulate blood and move the blood out of the legs. 

  • Avoidance of vigorous exercise:  Activities like running and jumping should be avoided for 1-2 weeks after the procedure, as these activities can be more damaging.

Even though these instructions help the treated areas to heal better, it does not have an effect on the number of treatments necessary for the best results for spider vein removal.

​Sclerotherapy is the best treatment available for those pesky and unwanted spider veins.

Video: ​Spider Veins Treatment at Dr. Mackay Vein Specialist in Tampa Bay, Florida

Learn about spider vein treatment at the office of Dr. Edward G. Mackay, Vein & Circulation Specialist.

To learn more about vascular surgery, contact Dr. Mackay at 1-727-261-0047 or fill out an appointment request form.

​What Factors Determine The Number Of Sclerotherapy Sessions Needed?

The number of treatments necessary to achieve results varies from person to person and several factors may affect the number of treatments needed, such as:

  • Genetics
  • Amount of spider veins and severity
  • Current and past medical history
  • Physician’s expertise with the treatment

Despite these differences, the majority of patients, 80%, can achieve desirable results with 4 treatment sessions while the other 20% may take up to 16 treatment sessions for desired results.          

​Visit with a board certified vascular surgeon to learn more about sclerotherapy as a treatment option and how many treatment sessions may be necessary to treat your spider veins. 

Video: Meet Dr. Mackay

Meet one of Tampa Bay's most trusted vascular surgeons. Dr. Edward Mackay has been helping clients prevent and treat vascular diseases. Click here to learn more about this board certified vascular surgeon.

Insert Custom HTML
{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

The Trusted Vein Expert in Tampa