Meet Dr. Edward G. Mackay
Tampa Bay’s Trusted Vein & Circulation Specialist
Edward G. Mackay, MD, FACS, RVT, RPVI
Board-Certified, Fellowship-Trained Vascular Surgeon
Dr. Edward G. Mackay is a highly regarded physician and sought-after expert in the treatment of varicose veins and venous diseases. He has been treating patients in southwest Florida since 1993.
A Florida native, Dr. Mackay earned his medical degree from the University of Florida College of Medicine in Gainesville. He then completed a general surgery residency, followed by a vascular surgery fellowship at the University of Tennessee Medical Center.
Dr. Mackay is double board-certified, in general surgery and vascular surgery, by the American Board of Surgery. He is also board-certified by the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine. In addition, he has achieved certification as a registered vascular technician (RVT) and registered physician in vascular interpretation (RPVI). He is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS).
Prior to opening his own practice in Tampa Bay in 1999, Dr. Mackay worked as an emergency medicine physician and was chief of surgery at Morton Plant Hospital in Clearwater, Florida.
Dr. Mackay was the first to introduce targeted endovenous radiofrequency ablation (RF) and endovenous laser therapy (EVLT) treatments in the Tampa Bay area in 1999 and 2001, respectively. He was the first in Florida to perform the innovative Medusa™ vascular plug procedure.
He is actively involved in offering vascular courses and training to doctors from around the world interested in the treatment of vein disease. Dr. Mackay is the founder of the International Vein Congress (IVC), held annually in Miami and has served as its co-chair since 2013.
Dr. Mackay continues to engage in research and clinical studies to evaluate possible new venous technologies and treatments. He holds numerous patents for vein treatment products.
Education & Training
- MD: University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL (1986)
- Residency: General Surgery – Georgia Baptist Hospital (nka Atlanta Medical Center), Atlanta, GA (1989), and University of Tennessee Medical Center, Knoxville, TN (1992)
- Fellowship: Vascular Surgery – University of Tennessee Medical Center, Knoxville, TN (1993)
- Board-certified in general surgery and vascular surgery by the American Board of Surgery
- Board-certified by the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine
- Registered Vascular Technician (RVT) certification
- Registered Physician in Vascular Interpretation (RPVI) certification
- American College of Phlebology
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow (FACS)
- American Venous Forum
- Florida Medical Association
- Florida Vascular Society
- Pinellas County Medical Association
Schedule your appointment with board-certified vascular surgeon Dr. Edward G. Mackay at Edward G. Mackay and Associates, LLC by calling (727) 781-5652. You can also request an appointment now. We have three convenient locations in southwest Florida, in Palm Harbor, St. Petersburg, and Largo, to serve all your varicose vein and venous disease treatment needs.